Etiketter

Saturday, January 16, 2021

Roll The Boat

 

Luckily, I rarely need to load and unload my (old and heavy!) Calypso on my own but sometimes it's the only way to go in order to get out there on the water. I find it way too easy to mess something up when loading or unloading; either myself - my back often reminds me that I'm not very young any more - or the car, or the kayak. So, when some fellow kayakers discussed this very issue and mentioned the Boat Roller I decided to check it out. 

It's a very simple construction that attaches to the rear car window with suction cups that seem to be reasonably powerful. Then, it should be easier to push the kayak up to the roof rack from behind the car.

I haven't tried this thing yet - temperature dropped down to -30C = -22F so I preferred staying in the garage instead of test loading my kayak outdoors! However, the weather is milder now; soon our neighbours will be wondering if I've finally gone completely nuts, considering the fact that Bothnian Bay (in Swedish: Bottenviken) is frozen solid.

UPDATE: Yup, I've tried to roll my boat and this thing works alright. Just see to it that both the car window and the suction cups are clean! 

Like what you're reading? Cool - then get notified of new CGoN posts here!

No comments:

Post a Comment