Etiketter

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

AeroPress Go: Hype And Reality

There's tons of hype about AeroPress; the (totally) incredible, (fairly) inexpensive, manually operated coffee gadget that (almost) instantly brews you that amazing (espresso) cup of coffee! Providing you have some ground coffee and hot water, that is. So much about the hype - now, let's see about the real deal.

I decided to get the AeroPress Go which is the most compact AeroPress version, easy to bring along in case you ever travel anywhere in this weird world of ours. Basically, it's the very same design as the 'original' AeroPress; three main parts only plus the filter holder 'cap'. Let's get the facts straight:

  • AeroPress Go is very compact, very durable, very much Go
  • I don't see the point in using disposable paper filters; go for metal
  • The UpsideDown method is the way to go - never makes a mess, at least for the first cup. However, I never pour in more water afterwards! Crazy!
  • I grind my coffee pretty fine; not espresso fine but close. The one and only golden rule: freshly ground coffee makes the best cup of coffee, period
  • Don't rush it, when using the plunger - easy does it, for best results
  • Forget about the 'science' of exact water temperature and the absolutely right amount of coffee grounds. Instead, wing it until you like it
  • The coffee you get is definitely not espresso!

What about the cup of coffee you do get, using your AeroPress? I like the coffee from my AeroPress Go; it's strong but not bitter. I do prefer my Go to a French press and - for whatever reason - when drinking AeroPress coffee I never get trouble with my stomach which does sometimes happen with the java from a French press.

One more bonus for AeroPress: it's very easy to clean this thing and dispose of the coffee grounds when they have done their magic. The grounds are pressed into a puck that - after a while - can be dumped in one quick move. Very Cool!

Like what you're reading? Cool - then get notified of new CGoN posts here!

No comments:

Post a Comment