Etiketter

Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Charging my HX870 VHF radio: In The Wild

I know - the photo is not 'in the wild' at all but it shows all the gear needed at least. Batteries not included!

I still can't quite get it that it took me so many years to realize that a VHF marine handheld really is something I need to have when I'm out there on the water, in my sea kayak. Guess I've always figured that, since I never do any extreme stuff, I'm good anyway. Well, it turned out that's not the case; my writing about that here.

These days both me and my wife are always wearing a Standard Radio HX870 marine VHF radio when kayaking; it's a good choice in many ways but easily charging the battery is not one of them. You have to bring along, in addition to the radio..

  • The charging cradle(!)
  • The car charger (included when you get the radio)
  • An additional USB adapter that the car charger plugs into
Lugging around all that gear, it's possible to charge the HX870 when you are somewhere - probably in the tent - fully protected from the (wet) elements. No 'wet swap' of the battery possible, by the way, but I'd guess that would be a lot to ask. The cable connecting the power to the charging cradle is, unfortunately, of the cheap & stiff kind that you don't want to bend too many times (and the same applies to the car charger cable).

Perhaps the main drawback of the HX870 - and many other marine radios - is this: you can't charge the radio without the cradle and there is no way, that I know of, to charge the battery when it's removed from the radio. Sure, a USB port is a potential point of failure but there are ways - far better than a rubber flap - to secure it from water damage.

Obviously, to be able to charge anything, you also need a power source but that's another story altogether!

Like what you're reading? Cool - then get notified of new CGoN posts here!

No comments:

Post a Comment