Etiketter

Thursday, February 4, 2021

PersistentWindows: They Stay Put

Take the chance and learn some Swedish from the speech bubbles! Anyway, now my windows are exactly where I left them - at long last 

Most people are computer users these days - in some shape or form - and it's also quite common to have multiple displays at your desk. My setup is based on a Windows 10 laptop (that's more or less permanently on the left side of my desk), one main screen in landscape mode in the middle and another one in 'portrait' position to the right, for web publications mostly.

The way I position the windows on my displays is always the same and it has been driving me nuts that the window positions often get totally messed up after the computer has been switched off or when waking up from 'sleep'! I've been telling myself many times that there must be an easy fix for this but I've never really taken the time to dig deep into the issue - until now. I figured that there must be a setting in Windows to do the job but, if there is one, I sure wasn't able to find it. There were several workarounds suggested in the web forums but the mileage varied way too much for me to try them out.

I got close to giving up my search but then I noticed that there is an application at GitHub that addresses the very problem i had: PersistentWindows. Yay! It looked good so I downloaded the executable, ran it, fixed the Task Scheduler to fire up the utility as suggested and - hey presto! Now those windows stay put just where I want to have them! I'm inclined to paraphrase the legendary Windows update message and say: now all my windows are just where I left them. Phew. A very Cool piece of software, available for free - thanks a ton to the contributors!

Like what you're reading? Cool - then get notified of new CGoN posts here!

No comments:

Post a Comment