Etiketter

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Jabra Elite 75t: A Total In-ear Disaster

They are small and lightweight, the Jabra Elite 75t, and that's Cool. Unfortunately, there wasn't much more to add into that department - the rest was mainly very, very uncool.

After sending back the Sony WF-1000XM3 - my writing here - I was trying to make up my mind if I should give Jabra a try. The pro reviewers were mostly giving both thumbs up to the 75t and also the latest 85t; the latter seemed crazy expensive so I decided to see if the 75t would fit the bill. Not that the 75t are cheap though - on the contrary! However, at least they were smaller than the really bulky Sony buds and the latest firmware apparently also made some kind of ANC magic happen.

The first impression, when unpacking the 75t, was that the small (charging) case felt cheap, made of extremely slippery plastic. The buds are very light but have the same super slippery finish so it's really easy to accidentally drop them. Shaking the empty case a little, I could hear the lid rattling; not a good sign. Flimsy! Dropping the case on a hard surface would most probably break it.

After unpacking, the next move is obviously to fully charge the buds and the built-in battery of the case. While the USB charger was doing its thing, I checked the instruction manual with a microscope (yes, the font size is that small) and downloaded the Jabra Sound+ app in order to update the buds' firmware to the latest version. Not bad, what I had read, getting ANC through a firmware update!

Soon enough the charging was done. I fired up the Jabra app and connected the buds.. No, I take that back! The app did not find the buds at all. What the heck! I read the instructions again, tried again, then checked the Reddit thread about folks having the same problem, tried again, did everything suggested by Jabra to remedy the situation, reset the buds, tried again.. Nope. No luck - and I was feeling slightly tired of the whole thing by now.

For a while, I just set aside my Jabra app woes and tried the buds with default settings and the old firmware. They felt comfortable in my ears even though I'm a bit wary of jamming any small pieces of equipment deep into my ear canal (came to think of the TWiT AllAboutAndroid co-host, Ron Richards, who had the in-ear tips of his buds get stuck in his ears while on a plane - yes, a very bad experience). The audio was okay and so was the BT connection; however, if the right side one - the 'master' bud - quits, all you have is a pair of pricey so-so functioning ear plugs. This master-slave arrangement in expensive in-ear buds like these sucks big time!

The Jabra 75t buds do block out some of the ambient noise but the talk of 'passive noise cancellation' bugs me big time; it's all about the good old ear plug effect and has nothing to do with any kind of noise cancellation! Are these extremely good ear plugs, then? Nope, the old cheap standard issue that expands in the ear is way better. Then, what about the size of the buds and them protruding from the ears? Well, Jabra sure is way better in this respect than the Sony I tried; the buds are small and don't stick out of the ears very much (but more than I'd like, anyway).

The battery life of the Jabra buds is a mystery to me. After a couple of days, the left earbud - the slave - would occasionally run out of juice even though the phone reported almost full battery level for Jabra. Then it became clear to me that the 'slave' bud wasn't charging at all, since I got the power off voice prompt right away after inserting the buds in my ears. The 'master' bud kept soldiering on, even though it started frequently dropping the BT connection. Is this an issue that has been addressed by new firmware? Who knows.

Okay, back to the stubborn Jabra Sound+ app then. I decided to test one last time, now using my wife's still fairly new Sony phone. I unpaired the Jabra from my Pixel 2, paired with the Sony - no problem there - and then tried the app again: you guessed it, no connection with the buds. Sigh. It seems there is something badly wrong here and whatever it is, it's on the Jabra side.

Using the Jabra Elite 75t without the companion app is not an alternative. Not only would you miss the 'software ANC' through the firmware update but also all future fixes. There are also tons of other settings that can only be accessed through the app. The 'slave' bud not charging is, of course, a disaster and so is the buds dropping the BT connection. To sum up: these earbuds I bought are total garbage. Was I unlucky to get defective gear? I have no idea but I have already returned the buds and will steer clear of Jabra products in the future. 

Like what you're reading? Cool - then get notified of new CGoN posts here!

No comments:

Post a Comment